Tuesday 14 July 2009

A very strange antique French toile c1785









This is a really strange antique toile print, quite an early plate print, dating to the late 1700s, madder printed on cotton. The vignettes are a combination of some very dark and frightening images, juxtaposed with more typically romantic scenes, but still with a slightly distubing feel to them. The item is a large bedcover, I think the images here would be very odd to go to sleep with. I have no idea what the story is here, but please let me know if you have any ideas! I cannot seem to find a reference for this design, but find in unusual and very fascinating! I will need to continue my research.

4 comments:

  1. You are right. I would not like to sleep under this piece, but it surely is fascinating. I have never seen one like this and would be interested to see what you come up with. If I had some of my toile research books with me I would like to look this up. I will when I return to Portland in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an update already, a more experienced textile dealer has just contacted me to say it is Psyche et L'amour, a toile de Nantes from about 1790! I have re-read the story, and it seems to fit some of these images, but not all. Some toiles of the period were designed to commemorate contemporary operas, plays etc as well as printed pictures, so possibly this relates to a 'darker' version than the more well-known story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lois, what is the story? I would be interested to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a really hard story to follow, v.complex, but there is a good version on Wikepaedia if you are interested. I would value your opinion, or anything else you could come up with!

    ReplyDelete