Saturday 14 November 2009

Blustery Weather, Comfort Food & Comfort Textiles!












The weather is so blustery & Autumnal this weekend, I can't help but think of delicious comfort foods - an afternoon of baking seasonal delights to keep out the cold will be a perfect compliment the wet & windy weather! This afternoon we are having a roasted wild pheasant seved with a spicy tomato gravy with bubble & squeak, with some pheasant pasties to make up for tomorrow's lunch with the leftovers. I shall also be making up some jam tarts and mince pies to snack on through next week.

My thoughts of textiles have also turned to 'comfort', so to speak this weekend, and I have found myself drawn once again, as I often am, to some of the more humble, domestic scenes portrayed in late 18th & early 19th century French toiles. Most people think of Romantic pastoral scenes when they think of Toile de Jouy, or possibly of historical pieces filled with pomp & circumstance. I used to think so too, but in the last few years, I have been actively hunting out new toile designs and along with the romantic, and the pomp, have come across some truly amazing scenes, delicate domestic scenarios, like snapshots in a kitchen, living room, barn etc, as people relax and portrayed as themselves in their domestic settings. Of course, these are still romantasised, idealised images, but they still evoke something of the domestic ambience of the period, and I find that very comforting!

2 comments:

  1. You have the most beautiful toile collection! Yes, blustery weather is an inspiration to bake and cook comfort food. I also find I light candles in the house when I first get up. It adds another dimension to the dark and cold mornings. Where do you find such exquisite textiles???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you enjoyed the pictures, I love these homely little scenes, I always trawl through bags and bags of stuff when French dealers turn up at fairs, and am very lucky when I ferret out such treasures, I always have a gut feeling when there is something special hidden away, even it it looks like piles of junk on the surface, its always worth a good old rummage! x

    ReplyDelete